What is PULSE?
PULSE cultivates a community of young servant leaders to transform Pittsburgh. We invite talented university graduates to partner with local nonprofits for a year of service and leadership.
How does the program work?
We partner with local Pittsburgh nonprofits. Partner nonprofits receive a young, talented, university graduate to serve the organization while fellows receive experience and skill development.
We cultivate community by having our fellows live together. They share meals, household tasks, and life together. As a result, they grow and develop as individuals and as a group, and are more connected and committed to your organization and Pittsburgh.
We train and equip our fellows to become servant leaders in Pittsburgh by providing ongoing personal and professional development to give them the support they need to succeed.
What can I expect from a PULSE fellow?
- Hard-working – dedicated young adult with lots of energy committed to your mission.
- University graduate – all our fellows have an undergraduate degree.
- Diverse talent/skill set – from admin to arcGIS, graphic design to community organizing, arts to tree planting, our participants have a wide variety of experiences and background to match your organizational needs.
Where do PULSE fellows serve?
Fellows serve in a wide variety of different nonprofits, ranging from the arts to community development, from social services to environmental, from education to advocacy. We work with accepted fellows to identify a good fit for the participant and our partner organizations. Over the past 22 years, we’ve worked with over 125 different nonprofit partners.
What are some of the details of PULSE?
- Eleven month position from early September til the end of July (can be extended).
- Fellows serve 35 hrs/week at the nonprofit partner.
- PULSE runs a comprehensive personal and professional development program which includes weekly seminar, retreats, mentors, etc. that further develops each fellows to succeed.
- Partner nonprofits contract with PULSE, contributing a monthly stipend to PULSE. PULSE covers employer taxes, health insurance, etc, a significant saving to a full time employee.
How can I learn more?
Fill out our online Partner Interest Form. Chris Cooke, Executive Director, will follow up with you. We are flexible and would love to work with you to meet your organizational and staffing needs. If you have any questions, please contact Chris Cooke at email@example.com or 412-361-0124.
Click here for more information on how to apply.