WHAT IS PULSE?
PULSE helps increase the capacity of local nonprofits by connecting people with passion to organizations with purpose. We do this be inviting talented university graduates and other young professionals to partner with Pittsburgh nonprofits for a year of service and leadership.
WHAT ARE THE MAIN COMPONENTS OF PULSE?
- SERVE with a Pittsburgh nonprofit
- LIVE in intentional community with other fellows
- GROW as a leader through ongoing personal and professional development
WHAT CAN I EXPECT FROM THE PULSE EXPERIENCE?
- Year-long service and leadership experience (August-August)
- Sense of community with other PULSE fellows
- A nonprofit partnership
- Extensive and meaningful personal and professional networking opportunities
- Personal/professional development through seminars, retreats and mentoring
- Room and board
- Food and public transportation coverage
- Health Insurance Reimbursement
- Affinity Group Funds
- Modest personal stipend- $135/month
- Transition funds at the end of the program to assist with next steps on a needs basis
WHERE DO PULSE FELLOWS SERVE?
Fellows serve in a variety of different nonprofits, ranging from the arts to community development to hunger/homelessness to environmental, etc. Fellows interview with potential Nonprofit Partners through a Match Day event. We’ve partnered with close to 200 nonprofits in Pittsburgh. Check out our list of current partners and past partners.
WHERE DO FELLOWS LIVE?
Participants live in one of our houses in Pittsburgh. Each PULSE house has between 4-8 bedrooms, one-two baths, living room, dining room, laundry room and kitchen. The houses are fully furnished including the kitchen. Every room has a bed, dresser, a closet or wardrobe, desk and lamp. PULSE currently has three distinct and integrated cohorts in the East End, Northside, and South Hilltop of Pittsburgh.
WHAT DOES A TYPICAL WEEK LOOK LIKE?
- PULSE fellows bike, walk, or take public transportation to and from their nonprofit partnership (fellows can bring their own vehicle).
- PULSE fellows serve 35 hours/week in a Pittsburgh nonprofit, Monday-Friday (half day on Wednesday). Some nonprofit partnerships might have evening and weekend requirements.
- PULSE fellows attend a weekly seminar on Wednesday afternoon.
- PULSE fellows share life together which includes cleaning, maintenance, and cooking responsibilities and eat dinner together Monday-Thursday (dependent upon community).
- PULSE fellows enjoy Pittsburgh in the evenings and weekends.
HOW CAN I APPLY?
Visit www.pulsepittsburgh.org/apply. Fill out our online application. We view the application process as a discernment process for you and for us. We are excited to journey with you. If you have questions, please contact email@example.com.